Create Product Dimension in Microsoft Analysis Services
In this section we will create the Product dimension
Click Create Dimension button again
Unlike our Time Table, the product table is spanning across two tables so we will choose Snow Flake Schema and click Next
Choose ‘Standard Dimension’ in the next ‘Select Dimension Type’ screen
Next You will see ‘Select the dimension table’ screen. Double click and select product and product_class tables
- Click Next and make sure the two tables are joined by the product_calss_id field.
- Click next and choose the levels by double clicking the column names in left panel. Our Product levels are Category, Sub category and Brand in that order.
- Click Next and and you will see ‘member key columns’ screen. Simply click next here.
- In the next ‘Advanced Options’ screen click Next
- In the next screen, choose a name ‘Product’ for our newly created Dimension. Make sure we share this product dimension across other cubes by checking the ‘Share the dimension’ box.
- You will create the Customer Dimension Table in the next section